When I am outside, my mom almost always makes me stay on a leash unless I am at a dog park or in my backyard. Even though I promise my rents I will come back when called, they don’t trust me. Mom says I am way to special to her to get lost and she knows us terriers can get a one-track mind. Speaking of leashes, I recently received a new leash to try out called the Flexi Vario system.
The Flexi Vario System
This is a retractable leash. I have some dog pals whose parents swear by these types of leashes. My mom even uses these leashes from time to time with me, especially if we go to a beach or I am going to get wet doing some type of activity.
The first thing that caught my mom’s attention was Flexi’s commitment to safety. Typically, if our regular collar breaks, a non-Flexi retractable leash will “snap” back on the human with the collar. I can only guess that has to really hurt. The Flexi Vario System has a secondary safety collar that prevents that snap back in case of collar failure.
The leash system comes in four different sizes from XS – L. Yes, for the record, I use a Small. However, they modeled the diagram after me (it is a westie) so I can’t complain … hehehe.
The leash also comes in six fashionable colors: black, blue, brown, pink, red, and turquoise. According to Mom, the handle is very comfortable and has handgrips.
What is really neat about the Vario leash is that it is a full system. Once you have the leash, you can purchase accessories to customize it to your needs. I received the LED Flash belt to test out. This is great for walks at night so everyone can see me coming. Mom says it is for my safety. I say it is to announce the Preston is on your street. If you want to share your walk with a second dog, they have a duo belt that allows you to walk two of us at the same time. There is also a soft stop belt that makes it more comfortable for the dog and the human if the dog is more of a puller. One of my favorite accessories is the multi box. It holds our poop bags or even treats right on our leash. How neat is that?
Retractable Leash safety
You will see all over social media how dangerous retractable leashes can be, but the key is, any leash can be dangerous if used improperly. Retractable leashes can be safe if your humans pay attention when walking you and follow basic safety instructions (and not busy on facebook or texting on their phone … hehehe). Here are some tips from Flexi on how to use these types of leashes:
- Only use this type of a leash with a very well behaved dog. A dog that is uncontrollable is more likely to wrap the cord around people and then cause injury.
- Pay attention to your hands and don’t ever wrap the cord around your hands. The same tip goes for regular nylon leashes too.
- Pay attention to the weight restrictions on the retractable leash. For example, the one I tested says up to 33 pounds. Please don’t put your Great Dane on the other end of this leash … trust me, it will break. Flexi leashes come in all different sizes from XS to L so you have no excuse not to purchase the right size.
- If you have a large dog (or a dog like me who thinks he is a big dog) look for retractable leashes that use a tape or a belt instead of a small cord. There is less chance of injury with a belt.
- Always keep a good grip on the handle of the retractable leash. If we build up speed and hit the end of the leash, there will be a small jerk. If you are not prepared you may drop the leash by accident.
- A retractable leash is usually longer than a typical nylon leash. This means we have room to build up some speed and could pull much harder than you are expecting. Pay attention so you don’t wind up falling down.
- Be aware of bystanders. Do not let your dog get wrapped up around another person or another dog’s leash. This is why there is a button on the top of the leash that allows you to lock the leash at a shorter length.
The reason I wanted to do this product review is because I am a firm believer that people need to make informed decisions on what is best for them and their pets. If you choose to use a retractable leash, then the Flexi Vario System is a great product to use. To learn more, go to: www.flexi-northamerica.com. To purchase, go to: Flexi Vario Leash
How to win!
How: Comment below and tell your pup’s favorite place to go for a walk?
Prize: A Flexi Vario Leash System valued at $40
Dates: May 19th – June 2nd
How To Enter: Make sure to follow the instructions below to be to be officially entered.
Disclosure – These products and the giveaway were provided to my rents and I free of charge. However, opinions expressed here are my own.
My dogs’ favorite place to go for a walk is the hiking trails at Multnomah Falls.
My pups love to walk our neighborhood 🙂
Our Bella likes to take a walk at the high school. We are always having to pick our oldest daughter up after school for some reason or another so we take Bella and let her walk while we are waiting.
My pups love to go for a walk at the park and around our neighborhood!
My dogs’ love to also go for a walk down to the river and on the walking paths there.
My pups favorite place to go for a walk is down by the river at a local park!
he loves walking in wooded areas with lots of shrubs because he has to pee on every one of them
My dog’s favorite place is the park by our house. He loves the attention he receives especially if it is from kids.
She likes going out to the park with my kids.
He loves to go on a walk at the park.
instagram ID gmrich22
we go to our state park