Today is a big day if you live in the United States. It was a day many, many, years before my time when America declared their independence from England. Humans usually party it up and throw awesome cookouts (Mmm … hamburgers and hotdogs we can steal … oh, I mean eat … hehehe). Unfortunately, they also have this terrible tradition of shooting off these loud noisemakers in the sky called fireworks!
Personally, I HATE, HATE, HATE fireworks and totally freak out! I feel very anxious, I bark, pant, and get so upset. I even have thoughts about running out the door to try to get away. Luckily my rents watch me very carefully to make sure I stay safe and don’t bolt.
My pals at Thundershirt heard about my problems and they sent me my very own shirt to try out. So tonight I’ll be proudly wearing my Thundershirt and I’ll give you a full report on how it goes.
Meanwhile, here are a few things we can ask our humans to do to help us out if we freak out over July 4th fireworks:
- Our ID tags. Make sure we have our ID tags on. If we get out, this can help us get back to you! Also, it is important that you keep the information on the tag up-to-date.
- Avoid fireworks. This is a no brainer. If we don’t like fireworks, don’t take us to fireworks shows or have us hang out with you in the backyard as you set them off either.
- Crate us. If we are really upset and we are used to being crated, let us hang out there for the evening. It keeps us safe and we consider it a safe comfortable place.
- Don’t leave us outside. Hello!?!?!? The loud noises are out there, why put us anywhere close to that?!?! We will feel more secure if we are inside with you.
- Finally, don’t get mad and yell at us if we won’t stop barking. We are scared and we are telling you that.
I hope all my USA pals have a great safe 4th of July!