Everyone wants a loyal, caring dog who thinks the world of you. Us doggies want to be close to our humans too. So today I’m going to let you in on a top dog secret. What you can do as our human to build a stronger and better relationship with us.
- Play With Us! Studies show that for human kids it is the parent that plays with them the most that has the strongest bond. The same goes for us. We LOVE to play, and we love to spend time with you so if you combine both of them, we are in doggie heaven!
- Communicate Clearly! I can’t say this enough times. Most dogs can’t speak human (ok I know I’m an exception..I can type and blog human hehehe). You have to be consistent with your commands, words, and training signals. If you tell us to go out one time, go potty the next, and go do your business a third we will never get what you want us to do. Then you get frustrated, we get frustrated, and that is just not a good situation. Also we pay attention to what you do more than what you say. So your body language is very important
- Teach Us! Training is such a good bonding experience with us doggies. A well trained dog is more trusted and we get more freedom too. Plus, we love to make you happy! If your excited because we came when called, or left that item alone it makes our relationship that much stronger.
- Know Our Personality. Take the time to find out what we like and don’t like. If you know that I just love to have my belly rub (hint hint), then the more you do it the more I like being around you. Also, I hate the vacuum cleaner so if you know that you will wait until I go outside to run that evil machine. Then I won’t get stressed out, won’t attack it, you won’t yell at me, and I won’t end up in my crate. See that little bit of knowledge just saved us from having a drama filled afternoon with that evil machine (did i tell you I hate vacuums hehehe)
- Learn About Dog Behavior. Just like you have body language to express when your happy, upset, or sad so do we. We show signs when we are stressed and we count on you to keep us safe and get us away from whatever is causing us distress. So the more often you come and “save the day” and get us out of a stressful situation the more we trust you and our relationship becomes that much better.
- Don’t Yell. this is a big one..remain calm even when we have an accident in your house or decide to chew on your favorite shoe. Nothing scares us more than you yelling, screaming, or freaking out on us. So the calmer you are the calmer we are.
- Finally SPEND TIME TOGETHER. Our world revolves around you our pet parent. And I know if I had my way my mom would quit her job and be a full time stay at home puppy mamma. So when she is home I want to be by her and have her paying attention to me (ok she can pay attention to my foster brother Elvis too!). Mom tells me she can’t quit because someone has to pay for all my dog toys and treats. So I guess i”ll have to make due with the time she can share with me. But this is the number one way to bond with your dog!